DISCOVER THE MAGIC OF REFORM YOUR HOME
We are an expert team in home renovations and adaptability
We take care of the whole process!
ADAPT A HOME FOR OLDER PEOPLE OR WITH SOME DISABILITY
When the mobility of a person suffers some type of alteration or decrease as a result of age or some type of disability, it is very important to try to alleviate or mitigate the degree of dependence and for this reason it is necessary to perform a rehabilitation adapted to the specific needs of each case to get a home without obstacles and without architectural barriers.
It is about making all those modifications that can be undertaken in the physical environment that surrounds people, to improve as much as possible the difficulties of all those daily activities (cleaning, cooking, exercise, etc.) And to be able to perform them in a more secure way , simple and independent.
In fact, the advantages of this adaptation of the home are numerous and relevant, mainly because it allows the prevention of dangerous situations and also because it optimizes the use of the functional capacities of the person, facilitating the realization of their activities, thereby It achieves an increase in its quality of life that more than compensates for the effort and economic expense it entails.
The adaptation of the home for an elderly person, with dependency or disability is a challenge because you have to find out exactly the specific needs that must be met and satisfied and determine the most appropriate and convenient solutions in terms of utility, benefit and economy. Therefore, the reform project must be totally personalized and fundamentally practical, always seeking simplicity and common sense.
In fact, the rehabilitation of the interior of a house to make it accessible to people with functional limitations, is a work quite affordable both technically and economically in most cases, since the structures and interior divisions are usually susceptible to modification and The availability of available resources to achieve accessibility is very broad.
- Study of the situation and needs.
- Evaluation of the required adaptations
- Realization of the measurement of all the departments to be rehabilitated.
- Presentation and acceptance of the corresponding project.
- Execution of rehabilitation.
- Control of results and delivery of certificates.
In general, the most important solutions for the correct adaptability of the home are the following:
Mobility: The maximum possible freedom of movement inside the home must be achieved by people with functional limitations and for this reason it is recommended:
- To reform the doors to be able to carry out the transit between rooms with facility and if it is possible by budget, to install automatic doors. The access doors to the house and the main room must have a minimum width of 80 cm and the rest, less than 70 cm.
- Install handles on the walls, placing them at a suitable distance as they must allow to maintain balance.
- Establish enough space in corridors and turning points, so that you can maneuver easily in a wheelchair. Corridors in a straight line will not have a width of less than 90 cm and it is advisable to leave enough space to enter a circle of 120 cm in diameter free of obstacles in front of the entrance door.
- Perform a fixed paving of the floors of the house with non-slip material, without irregularities or obstacles.
Adequate and comfortable environment: The equipment of the house must be made in accordance with the capacities that the person with disability still retains, providing peace and tranquility.
Security:: It is convenient to install smoke detectors and the relevant alarms, which must be accessible. The electricity, gas and water installations must be in perfect state of maintenance and must meet the safety requirements demanded by the distribution companies.
- The cables must not be located in places of passage.
- All plugs must be secured.
- The switches should be abundant and be located in strategic places: At the beginning and at the end of a corridor, of stairs, at the head of the bed, etc.
- The plugs and switches can be modified according to the needs of the person. In addition, there is the possibility to activate the switches by remote control.
- Switched switches are preferred, which allow the lights to be turned on and off from different places. It would be advisable for them to be phosphorescent or with a luminous indicator that allows them to be located in the dark and they will be located about 90 cm above the ground.
- The number of plugs must be sufficient to avoid extension cords. It is best if they are located at the same height as the switches or, at least, at a distance above the ground of 40 centimeters.
- The lighting must be generous. The ideal is to have light sources that can be oriented to avoid glare and that are of adjustable intensity, in order to adapt the brightness to the needs of each moment.
- The accessible height of the kitchen furniture should allow access to the objects inside, so that this height decreases the greater the degree of disability, to avoid possible falls that may occur in this area of the house.
- The interior of the cabinets must be organized so that the most frequently used objects are easily accessible.
- There must be a free space in front of the kitchen door to make a 1.20 m diameter turn.
- In front of the sink, it must be possible to make a turn of 1.20 m in diameter, free from any obstacle and it is advisable to leave the bottom space empty to allow this condition.
- The free distance of passage between two pieces of furniture shall not be less than 70 cm.
- It is convenient that the floor, walls and furniture have a matt finish to avoid glare and reflections.
- The floor must be non-slip dry and wet.
- The facilities must have keys of passage, to be able to be blocked in case of being dangerous for the dependent person.
- The corners and edges of the plates and other furniture must be rounded to avoid the risk of knocks.
- It is preferable the plastic tableware because it does not cut when it breaks
- Management simplicity.
- With acoustic warning that signals the end of the program.
- The vitroceramic kitchen has light indicators that warn to avoid burns.
- Gas cookers are very dangerous.
- The most suitable oven is the electric one, located from the top and with a tray.
- The washing machine facilitates its use if it presents programming with memory. It is better to use detergents and softeners in pill since there is less risk of ingestion than if they are powder or liquid.
- The WC must have a free space of a minimum width of 70 cm.
- The floor must be non-slip dry and wet.
- There should be a maximum color contrast between the floor and the walls.
- The toilets should be attached to the wall, so that they leave a sufficient frontal space to handle without obstacles.
- The taps must be single-lever.
- There will be enough light points so that the user can choose the right lighting at all times.
- It is advisable that the door opens outwards, or that it is sliding. Better to eliminate the interior locks that make it impossible to provide help in case of need.
- If the person is in a wheelchair, the bathroom must not have a pedestal, it must be placed 80 cm above the ground and have a free height below it of 65 cm to allow access.
- The lower edge of the mirror should be placed 90 cm from the ground and its upper edge at least 1.90 m.
- The most suitable toilet is the one that is anchored to the wall, since it allows to fix it at the ideal height of the person in particular. In the market there are several accessories that make this item accessible if it is already installed (eg: accessories that raise the seat). The ideal height for each person is calculated by measuring the distance between the sole of the barefoot and the curve of the knee.
- The roll holder must always be accessible to facilitate its use.
- The bathtub must have grab bars and support, obliquely or a vertical plus another horizontal, in addition to having a seat or bench inside.
- There are a variety of standard models available to renovate the bathroom to meet the needs of certain types of people with disabilities: showers, bathtubs and other options in sanitary elements.
Home automation currently offers many possibilities to improve the quality of life in the home of people with disabilities
- Security: Personal alarms, Fire alarms, Detection of water or gas leaks, Location of electrical faults, Intrusion alarms, Surveillance cameras, etc..
- Energy management: Lighting, air conditioning, energy saving in general, etc.
- Personal mobility: Hydraulic lifts, adjustable beds, fixed cranes, etc.
- Automation control: Blinds and Awnings, Doors and Windows, Locks, Risk, Appliances, etc.
- Communication facilities: Telephony, Internet access, local data network, etc.
- Management of the multimedia network: Capture, Treatment and Distribution of images and sound.
• Fundación ONCE
• El Portal de las Personas con Discapacidad
• Confederación Nacional de Sordos de España
• Comité Español de Representantes de Personas con Discapacidad
• Confederación Española de Personas con Discapacidad Física y Orgánica
• Mercado de empleo para personas con discapacidad
• Confederación Española de Federaciones y Asociaciones de Atención a las Personas con Parálisis Cerebral y Afines
• Federación Española de Deportes de Personas con Discapacidades Físicas
• Plataforma Representativa Estatal de Discapacitados Físicos
• Web de información sobre discapacidad
• Federació Francesc Layret Cocemfe Barcelona
• Barcelona accessible
• Instituto Municipal de Personas con Discapacidad (IMD)
• Departamento de Bienestar Social y Familia
• Gencat-Ayudas para la rehabilitación de viviendas
• FOCAGG: Federació d’Organitzacions Catalanes de Gent Gran, Dones i Família
• Fundación Pere Tarrés
• Ayuntamiento de Barcelona: Gent gran
• Portal de la gent gran de Catalunya
• La gent gran
Nobody was good enough for my reform (kitchen and bathroom) and I contacted them. A year later, I commissioned them to reform the rest of the house.
They did an impeccable job in the reform of our bathroom. They worked well and fast, they were clean and stood out for their attention and kindness.
They are serious and responsible people, besides being very kind. Our kitchen has been very beautiful. They finished by the deadline and there was no surprise in the budgeted price.
All my doubts and fears were disappearing during the reform of my home, and the final result was spectacular.